Stephen Weir & Associates

Default Looking for boat recommendations

I would recommend you look at a Glacier Bay. All the Glacier Bays powerboats
are outboard cats and can come with a cabin. Light enough to put on a
trailer.

The owner of the boat works, Larry Graf does annual adventures with his
Glacier Bay to show how durable they are. He took a 25 footer from Midway to
(I believe) Hawaii. Four years ago he brought along a 23 footer to Nome and
a group of us went from Alaska to Russia with the Glacier Bay and 3 Sea
Doos. Didn't make it to mainland Asia (one of the Sea Doos was damaged on an
ice floe and our translator was arrested by the Russians on Big Diamede
Island) but we did reach a Russian outpost 5 miles off-shore. Glacier Bay
was rock steady, floated in a cup of water and functioned safely in the most
adverse conditions. Only thing is, I don't think $30K will cut it (I am in
Canada so I am not sure how much they cost in the US with US money). The
fibreglas powerboats are made in Seattle

in article , KL333 at
wrote on 4/3/04 10:31 pm:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:22:42 -0800, Alan Street
wrote:

In article , KL333
wrote:

#I would like to collect power boat recommendations that satisfy these
#conditions:
# - max about 20 feet (absolute max 25 feet)
# - used for scuba diving (underwater photography) and island
# hopping, no other major uses (no fishing)
# - built to support the use along Florida coast, esp west coast
# and the Florida Keys in the south, the sides should be high
# enough to protect against small waves
# - preferably built-in motor (not the attached-type) to provide
# more space in the back, this is not goging to be a race
# boat, max 20-30 miles/hour is enough
# - a small platform in the back for easy diving and access to
# equipment
# - has to be easy to trailer because it will be carried on a trailer
# to many different locations frequently
# - occupancy max 2 people, but it has to be easy to operate even for a
#single person
# - it should to be designed to sleep 2 people on the deck by easy
# removal of the seats to make flat sleeping surface and by
# installing some overhead bug screen
#

What's your budget?

My plan is to come up with a set of *existing* boat models that
satisfy the reqs. Then I would look for a used one and then and only
then the price would become a factor. My hope is to spend less than
$30K incl. the trailer.