Jeff

Default Atlantic Crossing on a 26' MacGregor ?

wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Of course, you can claim that they did not follow proper procedures
in this case. However, the North Atlantic has a way of testing gear
in ways not covered by the procedures.

So I should have said that it cannot capsize if the ballast tank
is full and the boat is not overloaded and it doesn't have 300 lbs
of weight attached to the top of the mast, etc, etc.

I'm sure it can also sink if you put enough weight in it.

I'm not a big fan of MacGregor but I'm still waiting for somebody
to tell me why this boat wouldn't be as safe as larger sailboats
when proper procedures are followed.

Just to be clear ... you're talking about safe for a trans-Atlantic?

I'm sure others will have something to say, but for starters, the
basic parameters of the boat are not favorable - what little speed it
has is dependent on staying light, but it looses this with the
gear/fuel/water etc. that would have to be carried. But this is not
insurmountable. A bigger problem is that the basic design is not very
seaworthy. It has extremely high freeboard and thus windage. A hull
shape that provides little stability. And then there's construction
issues - very light rigging which, with the deck stepped mast, pretty
much guarantees the rig will be lost in rollover, and probably in a
knockdown. And the rudder assembly is not noted for strength. And
then there's the issue of whether the hull itself is strong enough to
handle the severe pounding of a serious storm.

The Mac is very attractive to some as a fla****er sailing, and hence
is one of the most successful designs ever. But I think you can find
better choices for a trans-Atlantic.