Don White

Default To My Canadian Friends...

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:21:12 -0500, John H.
wrote:

I've never done so either. I'm wondering if maybe he was using the small size
bit on the large size screw. I *have* tried that, before I realized there were
two sizes!

But he seems to have his act together, so I didn't suggest that.

Thanks for you confidence.... actually, there are three in common
usage. My screwdriver is a 3/8" Milwaukee drill and the bit is a
standard (#2) short insert.

Essentially, the problem is that the stainless is likely a 300 grade
and rather soft. The Robertson head has only four gripping sides. It
is not an accident that most bolts have 6 (not 4) sides.... ditto the
fact that many heavy duty fasteners have 12 sides...

I never had this problem with the Phillips deck screws that were
available during my last go at decking.... AND I could use my *real*
screwgun.... not a drill.

You have a 'real' screwgun? i almost got one for my birthday in August
but couldn't decide if I'd use it enough. I have the Craftsman
'Professional' corded drill/driver with clutch.