Default Boating Group

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
Chuck,
The most prolific poster by the initials HK, declared years ago that his
only reason for posting in rec.boats was to harass the conservatives who
have ruined rec.boats. Who is this new person you are talking about?

It isn't Harry. Reread the specific statement the individual made. If
that doesn't tell you who it is then you were lucky enough to miss some
of his posts and you don't need to be bothered. You could always google
up the phrase "get with the program" if you're dieing of curiousity.

What is your purpose for posting here, aside from an all-consuming
compulsive obsession with the poster with the HK initials?

wrote in message
oups.com...

ed wrote:
When I first subscribe to this news group about 8 months ago it was
pretty
much about boating. Its a shame that we have ADULTS acting like children
on
here that can not seem to keep the topic on boating. If you want to talk
about politics or just flame each other why in the hell dont you just
make
up a new group and do it in there. Why is it necessary to destroy a good
boating news group ? Tom, dont know if you can read this or not, but I
want
to thank you for all your help and information you have given to me over
the
past months. If one of the REAL boaters out there could pass this message
along to Tom, I would like to get his email address to converse with him
in
regards to boating issues. Im sure a lot of people has topics about
boating
especially during the off season.

Ed

There has always been a wide variety of conversation in the NG, but
during the last year there has been a subtle change.

For many years, people would start an OT thread and the conversations
about Bush, Liberals, etc and most of the personal remarks and flames
from the non-boaters (and boaters who participate in flaming) would be
restricted to the OT headers. When somebody dropped in on the NG, it
was pretty easy to pick and choose what threads to participate in, and
while a person who only wanted to discuss boats and boating had to be
pretty selective, there was always ample opportunity to do so. People
would complain about the amount of OT content, but there was an
effective solution- just don't open the OT threads.

Things have devolved to the point where most on-topic threads are now
ruined within just a few posts by somebody (often a non-boater) who has
reached the selfish conclusion that his or her ongoing flame war with
so-and-so is always so immediately important and of such natural
universal interest that it is perfectly normal, natural, and acceptable
to interrupt a boating-related thread (sometimes even changing the
title of the thread to something not boating related) to reitemize
their personal list of just what is wrong with so-an-so,- including
his/her politics, religion, profession, spouse, choice of boat, choice
not to boat, etc.

One of the worst current offenders recently posted a response informing
me that "rec.boats is no longer about boats. It's all about politics
and flame wars. I suggest you get with the program." While a person
would have to have an ego the size of an airport to just announce that
the "program" had changed, that particular individual's observation
about the changed nature of the group is apparently correct.