Roger Derby

Default band saw and a planer

When I have no clue as to what constitutes a "good" tool, I buy the
cheapest, or sometimes the cheapest per pound. After I've figured out what
it won't do, and what features I really hate, then I go looking for a better
one. Many times I find that the cheapest does 90% of what I want and all of
what I really need. Pride of ownership is a factor only you can judge, but
I often don't use my Starrett square for fear of damaging it. The old Sears
Dunlop isn't that far out of square.

If you're in a money making business with tool depreciation and labor costs
as significant accounting factors, then my approach isn't proper.

I'm quite happy with my Craftsman 12" bandsaw. It's quiet and quite user
friendly. No, it will not rip straight lines without a lot of windage, some
of which is user skill and blade sharpening, but my wife isn't afraid of it
and it will whack a cardboard box or plastic milk jug down to size in
moments.

I've also gotten a lot of mileage from my Delta 12½" planer and have no
plans to replace it.

Just another view.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"seawitch" wrote in message
ups.com...
can any one help me which planer and a bandsaw would be a good buy
without overkill , but have a good tool.So many out there and i sure
can use some good advice.I have an idea but before write a ck, it would
be good to hear some of your input...