Brian Whatcott

Default Dry Power Wood

On 7 Nov 2005 13:39:14 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

I understand normal ol rotten wood. I had not seen wood that appeared to be
in excellent condition but very dry to the scraping. The wood had not been
varnished.
Are there techniques to restore this wood?

I've "restored" an entire cedar outdoor patio deck by sanding. There's a
thin layer of soft discoloured wood on the surface which can be sanded
off. If you don't feel like sanding then you can apply the usual linseed
oil and kerosene (or any solvent, paint thinner). I oil the inside of my
wooden boats.

Linseed oil and kerosene is an old style wood cover.
Think of it as a poor man's varnish. I have used it on a hut interior
for the color and smell.
It does have water-repellent qualities, but test reports note the
surface remains porous to water.

Modern spar varnish is supposed to be way better.

Brian W