Drew Dalgleish

Default Cedar strip technique, cove up or cove down?

I used cove side up with good results on the canoe I built. The cove
isn't as fragile as you imagine. BTW I thought you were going to
build a dingy?

Use thicker glue.

;-)

Brian

PS: I have no clue which way is better, but I'm interested ...looking
forward to the replies.

wrote in message
.. .
I'm in the process of setting up to build a cedar strip canoe and have
found that there are two techniques to use when stipping the canoe:
cove side up, or bead side up.

Both techniques have their advantages and disadvantages.

Cove side up - Advantage: the cove holds the bead of glue nicely when
it is squeezed out of the tube or syringe. Disadvantage: the cove
edge is very fragile and if you are using the stapless technique, is
prone to damage which will be visible. Protecting the cove edge using
1/4" dowels complicates matters and may not protect the edge if it
slips.

Bead side up - Advantage: This side is far less fragile and can be
wedged and clamped without much worry of damage. Disadvantage: laying
the glue on top of the bead is tricky and it can easily run out and
down the side of the strip making a mess that needs to be constantly
cleaned up.

However, once the strips are squeezed together, it's normal for some
glue to squeeze out, which must be wiped up with a damp cloth.

Some very heavy hitters advocate cove up, and some equally heavy
hitters recommend bead up.

Anyone with an opinion?

Corky Scott