Brian D

Default Cutting scarfs

People always say that having a belt sander is a good idea, but I have a
good Bosch one that's been sitting on the shelf for years and years, just
collecting dust. I find that with my Bosch power hand plane, low-angle
block plane, 5" random orbital sander, and 7" random orbital angle sander,
that I just don't need anything else. It's very difficult to do a nice job
of anything with a belt sander ...very easy to get non-level in one
direction or the other and you can't see it happening. Maybe I haven't
found the right wood working project to match up with the belt sander?

Brian D

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message
Roger Derby wrote:
My reaction to belt sanders was the same as yours. I'd borrowed a
neighbor's contractor grade unit made it the 1960s and it was vicious.
Then, a few years ago, I bought a Ryobi BE-321 and it's one of my
favorite tools. Variable speed and a case that lets it be set down on
the bench upside down for use as a fixed sander.
http://www.ryobitools.com/index.php/.../tool/be321vs/

I prefer the electric block plane for making scarfs in plywood, primarily
because I think it leaves the pores open, but the belt sander is a must
have. Yes, by definition it is an abrasive stock removal tool, but the
flat sole and the variable speed allow quite small amounts to be removed.

I don't think anyone is disputing the utility of a belt sander and I
wouldn't be without one, but it's definitely not the best tool for making
scarfs.