otnmbrd

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a small Furuno on my boat and it picks up everything. On a calm day
I track seagulls and logs. Its only when the sea surface is really
disturbed (25+knots and lots of fetch that the radar starts missing small
boats.

Having driven large ships, I would say that if they are watching their
radar, they will see you even in a small fiberglass boat unless the sea
state or weather is such that clutter is a problem

I'm guessing you're X-Navy (not that it really matters).
Picking up a "small fiberglass" boat on radar in open sea conditions depends
a good deal on luck, the operator, and the radar set,
in question.
I've totally missed large ships, small boats, land masses, weather fronts,
etc., on radar.......
I've picked up seagulls, small boats in 30k wind conditions, land masses
(low lying) at maximum ranges, etc.......
A good deal depends on the particular radar, the particular operator, and
the particular conditions ......
Radar is not a "cure-all"..... for those of you who have installed it and
think you are an expert at using it, as soon as you turn it on or after a
"season" using it ....... forget it ..... you're a trainee.
One in a thousand of you might become good .....some of you will become
passable "mechanics"........ the majority of you will be divided into two
groups:
1. Those with enough common sense to realize they need to be and are aware
of their limited abilities and experience with radar.
2. Those with ego's bigger than their brains.

EG

otn