fen

Default Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

Darrel, thank you for your advice, about selling and re-buying.

You, beeing a Garmin seller, surely knows about consumer needs, and how
important it is to have them satisfied in the long run.
And that is the reason I hope to convince Garmin that they could improve on
their costomer service profile in this aspect.

The way to do this in this case, vould be to let a costomer send in his
pre-programmed card to Garminīs designated distributor and let this
distributor do a single copy on a card.
The blank card, the postage and a fee for programing the card of course
beeing paid for by the costomer.

Assuming there is a recgonized need AND will, for such a program, some
distributorīs may make a buck or two- and the costomer is happy!. A true
win-win setup.

Now a sceptic could say:" this has never been done" OR he might even say:"
Itīs not fair". But those are really only arguments for the lazy.
What happened to TRYING?.

If this proposed solution to the problem of copyprotecting is NOT feasibly
technical possible, I shall bow down and forever keep silent and spend my
dollars as Iīm supposed to do. Until a wiser points the way.
Regards

Hans
A semi-happy Garmin costomer

"tvnav.com" skrev i en meddelelse
l.net...

"fen" wrote in message
k...
Somehow this discussion has drifted, and Iīm not sure how your wife got
into it.

It was a simple comparison. Another one......I can't use the engine in
my car in two different cars at one time just the same as it's not
physically possible to use the same memory card in two different GPS's at
the same time.

Why is it fair that you legally can take a copy off a CDmap but not off a
card.

That's just the way it is whether you consider it fair or not. I have
always told my kids.......life isn't fair.

Will taking a copy froma CD be managable for Garmin and not harm them,
but doing a copy from a card be uncontrolable and swamp us with
lawbreakers?

Absolutely.

Still doīnt get it.

I guess we both don't get it yet. I don't understand how it's possible
to use a memory card in two different GPS's at the same time and you don't
get why it's not possible. What possibly gave you the idea that you could
copy the info. off of the pre-programmed card onto another one? As I
stated before you can't copy the card because there would be no way to
control theft of the info. The CD version uses unlock codes to control the
theft of the info. My best suggestion is to sell the pre-programmed memory
card and buy the correct product for what you want to do.

--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com