Brian Whatcott

Default Can I use a NYLON Transducer in a WOOD Hull ???

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:25:54 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Brian,

I haven't seen any of these innumerable notes of which you write...

But thanks...sounds like a good idea. I can build a little
holder for the trandsducer that will have it set still in the hull. If
it works someplace - Great. If not, I can always install it
through the hull later.

Any other tips (or links to info) on how to make this work?

Gary

People have described their tests like this:
1) with a water balloon, place the balloon on the hull, and the
transducer on the balloon.
Can you read the floor at a reasonable depth?
2) Using a dam of putty etc.inside the hull, , pour a little mineral
oil into the dam, and place the transducer level in the oil.
Test for depth reading etc.
3) Using a blob of RTV silicone on the hull, place the transducer in
it etc., etc.

These are not difficult, destructive or time consuming tests.
You MIGHT find some wood hull section that transmits the signal
sufficiently well. People have shot through composite hulls. Wood is
composite!
You have lost a few dollars if not.

Brian W