Terry Spragg

Default Manatees in court

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message

Avoid hitting an annimal that Is not from Florida, does not belong here,

is not

endangered, and had taken over your voting, boating, and docking

(building )

rights.

Believe me when I tell you that I try very hard to see both sides of this
issue, especially since I don't know a lot about it. But "does not belong
here"? Wherever they are, they're there for a reason, so you may as well
adjust as much as possible. It sounds like you try.

They are there because they can. They eat a particular type of sea
plant which otherwise quickly fills shallow water so it is unuseable
by boats, power and sail. I believe the plant is an exotic import,
like zebra mussels are. Manatees are the only way to control the
Japanese sea cabbage, or whatever it is.

To be cynical, the only reason they need protecting is so that
waters attractive to boats remain open.

Mind you, they also destroy habitat for young fish, who find shelter
from predators in the weeds, and snails to eat, or something that
lives on the weed. I forget the names of all the interacting organisms.

That's why its called ecology, because it's complex.

Who is to define the "Proper natural balance?"

What will we eat when the little fish do thier thing, or don't?

Speed should be regulated according to depth. Who's in a hurry,
anyway, and why?

Terry K