DSK

Default first boat length

pmiller wrote:
I have a question for this group, The past couple years I have been looking
to buy a small cruiser The boat I have in mind is a Wellcraft St Tropez 32'
Here is my question ... I have never owned a boat before... Some of my
friends
are saying I am crazy to buy a boat that size for my first boat. But really
anything
smaller just doesnt seem to have the room to be comfortable I am 6'3
and want to be able to be comfortable both moving around and sleeping.
I want to be able to spend a couple days at a time (weekend) comfortably.

Id love to hear your comments and suggestions.

Understand the requirement for a little elbow room & knee room.

The issue of handling a boat this size is a serious one. It's like
deciding to hit the road and choosing an 18-wheel truck as your first
ride. However, just like there are schools where one can learn to drive
big trucks, there are ways to learn all the knowledge and skill needed
to safely handle & cruise in a boat like this.

1- take all the USCGA and Power Squadron courses on boat handling and
navigating.

2- when you get the boat DO NOT take it out without hiring a licensed
captain with experience at this sort of thing showing you how to handle
it. In fact, I'd suggest you take several lessons in a variety of
conditions so you can learn not only to drive the boat itself, but gauge
the many many variables like wind & current that will affect the boat
while maneuvering. Consider this a necessary expense, and compared to
some you'll face as a boat owner, a relatively light one. Besides, a lot
of these guys are good company.

3- As you begin cruising in the boat on your own, keep your lessons in
mind and don't get frisky. Remember that you have book learnin' but lack
the reflexes and instincts that only come with experience. Once you gain
some experience, then you'll be ahead of those who never got the book
learnin'. But not until then

Hope this helps.

Doug King