Jim Conlin

Default Cutting scarfs

I was suggesting that the belt sander will do a good job and if your tool
budget is limited it's more generally useful than a power plane.
I've not been aware of belt sanders leaving grit in the victim and if used
with a fresh belt, they don't close pores badly.
If you worry about nasty stuff a block plane iron might encounter, you can't
build boats. You'll be planing the edge of a glass-sheathed panel soon
enough. Keep the stone handy.

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message
Roger Derby wrote:
My reaction to belt sanders was the same as yours. I'd borrowed a
neighbor's contractor grade unit made it the 1960s and it was vicious.
Then, a few years ago, I bought a Ryobi BE-321 and it's one of my

favorite
tools. Variable speed and a case that lets it be set down on the bench
upside down for use as a fixed sander.
http://www.ryobitools.com/index.php/.../tool/be321vs/

I prefer the electric block plane for making scarfs in plywood,

primarily
because I think it leaves the pores open, but the belt sander is a must
have. Yes, by definition it is an abrasive stock removal tool, but the

flat
sole and the variable speed allow quite small amounts to be removed.

I don't think anyone is disputing the utility of a belt sander and I
wouldn't be without one, but it's definitely not the best tool for
making scarfs.