Jeff

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

DSK wrote:
Not when he is 15' from me and makes a 90 degree turn in front of a boat
moving 25 miles per hour. His responsibility requires him to avoid the
collision and has to keep in a continous direction when being overtaken.

???

There is NO obligation for any vessel to "keep in a continuous direction
when being overtaken."

The overtakING vessel is burdened to keep clear, which means that you
must slow down and be ready to take avoiding action.

RULE 17
Action by Stand-on Vessel
(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other
shall keep her course and speed.

I would not, however, want this to indicate support for Bill's
position. At 25 knots he's going over 42 ft/sec; or 422 feet in the
10 secs it took the sailboat to tack. It was reckless and in obvious
violation of various rules to even be within 15 feet of a sailboat
while going that fast. I would claim that the statement the sailboat
"turned 15 feet in front of boat doing 25 knots" is a clear indication
that the powerboater was not in full control of his faculties.