Dr. Dr. Smithers

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

JimC,
Ignorance of ColRegs is not limited to either a sailboater or a powerboater,
sort of like ignorance in rec.boats is not limited to any political party.
; )

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
"Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote in
JimC,
If there is a collision and both boats could have avoided the
collision,
both boats can be held partially reasonable. If the sailboat in a

passing
situation turns in front of another boat and it is not reasonable for

the
other boater to avoid the collision, the powerboater will not be held
responsible.

Do you realize that your two statements are a direct contradiction of
each other?

Jim Carter wrote:
Dr. Smithers, the first part of your statement is absolutely correct.

The
second part of your statement is incorrect in as much as there is no

such
thing as it being "not reasonable" for the powerboater to avoid the
collision in the way Bill has described the situation. In this case
it
would have been the fault of Bill's judgement. He was too close and

too
fast in the situation. He MUST stay clear in the overtaking

situation.

But to most motorboaters, it is unreasonable to slow down and give other
boats a wide berth. They have a RIGHT to go blasting right past any
sailboat, close aboard, and by golly that durn sailboat better just stay
outta their way!

We can only hope that a maritime court would, in the event of tragedy,
see things in a slightly more adult viewpoint.

And it's probably not going to do any good to review the ColRegs, even
with a motorboater who knows what they are, because obviously 1- he
can't read them clearly and 2- has no concept that they are applied in
order and 3- clings to the idea that he has no personal responsibility
or accountability.

DSK

Again, Mr. DSK, you are correct. On my trips on Lake Huron, from
Bayfield to Tobermory, I travel off shore. There have been several
occasions when I have been passed by large cruisers who do not seem to
want
to alter their course and they pass too close to me. I am not within
sight of land and there is the whole lake out there and they have to pass
close by. What are they thinking? I don't understand why they don't
alter their course to pass at a distance from me. They seem to delight
in
how much they can rock my boat. "The Boat" is a 27 foot twin engine
power
boat, which I sold this past summer.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"