Lynn Tegrity

Default keel strip

Fiberglass does not stand up to abrasion as well as Kevlar. I have used
fiberglass to repair the front and rear of my glass canoe. I finally
applied kevlar with epoxy resin and the strips have stayed on for over
five years. The secret to using kevlar is to spread the resin on the
cloth while the cloth is spread out on Saranwrap. Then cover the cloth
with another layer of Saranwrap and squeeze the resin into the cloth by
pressing on the top layer of wrap with a plastic autobody repair
spreader. When the resin is evenly spread throughout the cloth, remove
the top wrap and apply the patch to the spot needing repair. Pull the
wrap tight when applied to the boat and leave the wrap until the resin
sets up. By doing this there is no sanding needed to smooth out the patch.

Lynn Tegrity
p.s. Epoxy resin can be used on Polyester resin boats to repair them.
Polyester resin cannot be used on a boat using Epoxy resin. Epoxy resin
cures and stays flexible. Polyester resin cures and becomes much
stiffer. The resin that you buy at a auto supply house will be polyester
risen.