offen rong

Default HEre we go again...secret torture prisons

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
CIA accused over secret jails for terror suspects

America's Central Intelligence Agency is being accused of hiding and
interrogating some of its most important al- Qaeda captives at a
Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

America's Central Intelligence Agency is being accused of hiding and
interrogating some of its most important al- Qaeda captives at a
Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe.

The secret facility is part of a covert prison system set up by the CIA
nearly four years ago that at various times has included sites in eight
countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several democracies in
Eastern Europe, as well as a small center at the Guantanamo Bay prison in
Cuba, current and former intelligence officials and diplomats from three
continents, have told The Washington Post.

The hidden global internment network is said to be a central element in
the CIA's unconventional war on terrorism. It depends on the cooperation
of foreign intelligence services, and on keeping even basic information
about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all
members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA's covert actions.

The existence and locations of the facilities - referred to as "black
sites" in classified White House, CIA, Justice Department and
congressional documents - are known to just a handful of officials in the
United States and, usually, only to the president and a few top
intelligence officers in each host country, the Post said.

The CIA and the White House, citing national security concerns and the
value of the program, have dissuaded Congress from demanding that the
agency answer questions in open testimony about the conditions under which
captives are held. Virtually nothing is known about who is kept in the
facilities, what interrogation methods are employed with them, or how
decisions are made about whether they should be detained or for how long.

= = =

Your GOP-controlled government at work.
Gee, what will happen when this blows up in our face?

Sounds like a good idea to me holding our enemy outside the country for
interrogation. War is hell, and don't bring a knife to a gun fight!