Don White

Default Master and Commander...

Bob wrote:
On 2 Nov 2005 08:18:12 -0800, wrote:

I once read an interesting statistic concerning ships transporting
slaves through the "Middle Passage". I believe the book was "The Slave
Trade". It said that the death rate among the sailors on these ships
was about 15-20% whereas the death rate of the slaves being transported
was normally lower than that. The reason was that slaves were
valueable cargo whereas seamen were considered expendable.

too bad all the sailors didn't die. maybe they would have learned a
lesson.

What about the boat owners who were profiting from that enterprise?
The poor sapless sailors probably weren't much better off than the slaves.