Larry Davick

Default Old Mercruiser (Type I?)

I have a 1963 Hydrodyne with a Mercruiser 160 (Chevy straight 6, dual carbs,
outdrive). We have not put it in the water for about 7 years - the last
time we used the boat it started to overheat. The shop we had taken the
boat to told us that the outdrive was in rough shape - it had seen a lot of
sal****er over the years - and is pitted. Could I swap this outdrive with
an Alpha I, or are there inexpensive ways to rebuild something like this?

Our little boat looks a lot like this one - except for the engine - 4 cyl
vs. 6 cyl. http://www.fiberglassics.com/hydrodyne/Ginn.html

I'm really fishing for something that sounds reasonable. I don't expect it
makes any sense to put 3 grand into this old boat. But there is something
about it that I really like.

Thanks for any responses - even flames!

Larry Davick