Bart Senior

Default # 75 Freedom Cat Ketch

I fat fingered some key and sent the review off
before I finished it.

In summary, I give the boat high marks as a cruiser
or a day-sailer. It was pretty fast, easy to sail, and
farily roomy. Hoisting the sails was easy. I just wish
I tried reefing. The owner is wrapping the boat and
keeping it in the water. So I'll have to wait for next
year for that.

I am intrigued by all the Freedom Cat-Ketches. I
also like the Tom Wylie Cat's. I've been thinking
about pricing out a bendy unstayed carbon mast
and stuffing it in an old Etchells hull I know of that has
been stripped out and would sell for pennies. Perhaps
some sort of a cabin would be nice too. I think that
would be a kick ass combination and quite easy to sail.

"DSK" wrote

Bart Senior wrote:
Beautiful day for a sail today. It hit about 65 for the high.
Northerly winds were 8 to 12 knots. Flat water.

I'd taken a few pictures of a 36' Cat Ketch I'd been admiring
under sail all summer. Of course it was hard to miss. How
many boats are rigged like that (snip for brevity)

Thanks for the review, Bart. The Freedom 40 cat ketch has always been
one of my dream boats, although the centerboard version... and I think
that would be easier to balance also.

Halsey Herreshoff designed a few cat ketches and also a man named Tanton
(better known for his racers).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King