Capt. Rob

Default Did You Pick the Wrong Boat?

sit eight and have a game
of poker in light air while the vessel sails herself and the crew plays

guitar, mouth harp and banjo.

Why sail at all. Stay home and pretend and save on the gas.

No way Man..... I don't like fractionals at all. I don't like fin keelers

either.

Sounds like a trawler is in your future.

Otherwise it's a difference of maybe 2 or 3 knots.

A difference of 2 or 3 knots is huge. Not only does th speed add a fun
factor, it might also get you to a destination on a light air day
without resorting to the engine.

Have a decent dodger and BTW - my cockpit is as big as yours.

Actually it isn't.

Can you lift
the cockpit sole, access your engine, strap a hoist to the boom and
lift
your motor from the engine compartment and swing it neatly into the
back of
a pick-up truck?

Nope. The engine fits neatly through the companionway. Why would I put
it on a truck? It only has 250 hours and I'm at a full service yard.

AC is the absolute worst thing for your health. It promotes colds and

impairs the body's ability to adjust to temperature changes.

A total myth. I rarely get colds, my wife never does and my son has yet
to be sick at all. We have AC of course. The key is to know how to use
a climate control system at home or on a boat. I doubt you even know
why temperature can effect health and how to control it properly. You
learn a few things when your wife works in Critical Care.

What exactly is "Performance Cruising"???

Well of course you wouldn't know. You own a turtle with sails.
Performance cruising refers to a vessel which splits duty between
cruisability and fast sailing. And so my 35s5 is faster than most
cruising boats like yours, or Island Packets, Bristols, Catalinas,
Pearsons and so on. But it's not as fast as a stripped out C&C 34r or
J-35. It scores great on speed and very good on comfort. If you
actually enjoy sailing my boat is more rewarding. If you're out there
for some sea air, the water and drinking any boat will pretty much do.
On the LIS, a boat like yours crawls in the light winds. And Mooron, I
LIKE your boat. It's certainly well built and great for trips. But for
the type of sailing many of us do, it's the wrong boat.

Robert B
35s5