rvbilly

Default Anybody ever converted a lawnmower or dirtbike engine to a inboard shaft and propeller setup?

Hi guys, would it be possible to mount the thrust bearing on the prop
shaft close to the transmission ? I would like to use a prop from a 25
to 40 Hp outboard with a pitch of about 14, will that be to much prop
for the motor as it will have somewheres in the neighborhood of 20 to
30 Hp, it will make this power around 8,000 to 9,000 RPM, I want to use
simple chain and gears to reduce the input(3-1 roughly) to the input of
the tranny, I think with 3-1 it should give a good holeshot. Can the
exhaust be run through a muffler and about 5 ft of pipe into the water,
any chance the water might back up into the engine ? the boat should
weigh in around 650 to 750 lbs fully loaded ( hull,motor,gas,2 adults)
I`m hopeing to achieve the 30 to 40 mph mark, Glen-L has a speedboat
called TNT, it`s the one I`m baseing my modified plans on,it will do 37
mph with a 25 hp outboard pushing it, you guys are really helping me
lots with your feedback and I apreciate this, I`m a little scared of
setting up this engine only to find out I can only get say 20mph, the
specs on everything seem good and possible but theres allways the
chance that I should have say mayby used a little little motor such as
say a 3 cyl. Geo Sprint or 1200cc Toyota,what are your opinions on
this,, thanks Bill--How do we upload pictures into these posts?