RG

Default Bowrider Split Window

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

#1, they're not glass

Many of them are. Every boat I've ever owned with a walk-through windshield
(4 of them) used safety glass in all sections of the windshield, including
the hinged, center section. Don't know why you would consider yours to be
representative of the entire fleet of pleasurecraft on the market.

#2. Mine doesn't "flip around on it's hinges" whilst open. It justs sits
there.

You've been lucky. A very strong wind from abeam or a hard landing from
rough water could easily defeat the snap that "secures" the senter section
of the window in the open position and allow the window to be flung into the
closed position. I've seen it happen on mine and others boats.

#3. they are made to be run open.

Depends on the current conditions. In rough or windy conditions, I would
consider the secured position of the center section of the windshield to be
closed and fastened. I've personally seen them get closed violently by a
crosswind that gets underneath the open center section, even though they
were snapped shut. Three thoughts came to mind at that point:

1. I'm glad the glass didn't break. It's very expensive to replace.

2. I'm glad my fingers or someone else's didn't happen to be resting on the
windshield frame on the opposite side of the hinge and where the center
section seats when closed. They would have surely been broken by the
amazingly swift inadvertant closing of the center section.

3. I don't ever want to see it happen again.

You're advice suggesting that center sections of walk-through windshields
are meant to be run in the open position without consideration of conditions
and consequences is poorly thought out and potentially dangerous.