Smith Smithers

Default Falling behind the times...

Harry,
You can set it up for Stereo or different ambient sounds, i.e. Concert Hall,
Jazz Club etc. I prefer to use the regular Stereo set up for music.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

What am I supposed to be hearing in 7.1 surround sound? What's the big
deal?

Someone please explain.

Nothing, assuming you're trying to reproduce the typical live music
situation where the band is located in front of you. Some say surround
sound gives you the ambience of the room in which the music was
performed, but that's silly. Which room? Carnegie Hall? Madison Square
Garden? Lincoln Center? A small jazz club?

I say it's bull****, but it sure does sell well.

It sells so well, you can hardly find alternatives.