Default Storing gasoline in a dock box?

Anthony wrote:
The previous owner of my Ranger 22 sailboat was storing the outboard's
plastic fuel tank inside the boat in the quarter berth (there are no
lazarettes). There are definitely gasoline vapors in the boat when I
open it up each weekend - so I open the hatches to ventilate.

I want to get the gas off the boat when its not in use. I thought
perhaps putting in inside a ventilated dock box might be suitable. I'm
finding conflicting advice around the net about whether this is a good
idea.

On the one hand, everyone advises that gasoline should be stored in a
ventilated place. On the other hand, some say it should be a in an
approved flammable liquids storage locker.

Does anyone do this? Is it safe?

Thanks

There's a high probability that your marina prohibits the storage of
portable gas tanks in dock boxes. Some smoker strolling down the dock
might create some serious chaos if enough gasoline vapor collected
inside the dock box and was pouring out the vent just as he happened to
walk by and flick his BIC. Can you put it in your car and take it home
with you? Do you have someplace around your house where you can safely
and logically store gasoline for lawn equipment, BBQ lighter, etc?

The other possibility would be to find an adequately ventilated space
aboard the board but outside the main cabin where the gas tank sould be
stowed. However, that sounds tough to do on your particular vessel.