Brian Nystrom

Default keel strip

Ed wrote:
Does anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of keel strips for
sea kayaks?

I am about to buy my first glass boat. I am planning on getting an NDK
Romany.

On one had they seem like they might be useful in areas with rocky
shores. On the other hand, it seems that they would both add weight and
effect the hydrodynamics of the hull. Any help would be appreciated.

Although none of my boats have keel strips, I'll be adding them to a
couple this winter. Keels and chines are subject to a lot of wear and
tear, particularly if you use your boats hard, playing in rocks and
surf. The keels strips used on kayaks are thin enough that I find it
hard to believe that anyone could feel a difference in performance. As
for whether to get one on a new NDK boat, if you have any DIY skills at
all, you can probably do a better job for a lot less money. If you have
any interested in doing your own boat repairs, installing a keel strip
is a good introduction to working with fiberglass and epoxy. Whether you
install it right away or wait until the keel wears a bit is up to you,
but I'd probably do the latter.