Gusty

Default Island Packet 35 vs Sabre 38

Just returned from the Boston Boat show and have two boats in mind -
the interest rates make me believe this is a worthwile time to do this
- anyways, I loved both the Sabre and the Island Packet. From what I
can tell, there hasn't been a debate relating to these boats, or ones
like it, recently - so I truly would appreciate your input.

The plan for the boat:
Its home port will be Rockland ME with many mostly weekend cruises
during each summer but hopefully an annual week of cruising down east
and every couple of years a longer trip to Fla or Bermuda. Also, the
grand plan may be to sail the Mediteranean or some place further...
Dreamin for now.

Anyways, I'm thinking this may be the boat for the next 10 years.
Here are my questions: With the IP, I doubt I could even consider
racing in the 'Round the Island' race and have a chance - no matter
who sails it. Is that true and if it was the Sabre, you could
compete?
Is the IP going to be enjoyable for a short day sail? Some of the
older posts give me the impression that with their sail configuration
they may be good to reach and sail down wind but not for the short
upwind leg.
Also, for a couple, is either too much work? Some times we will have
nieces and nephews or friends, but mostly it will just be the two of
us?
With the Sabre, I could plan to race it and be happy with it's
cruising comfortability?
Both are as safe for bluewater sailing?
Is there another boat that you would suggest I be looking at? These
two should give you the level as to the most expensive that I am
considering.
What are some experiences that people have had with either boat?

DSK wrote in message ...
Gusty wrote...
I've just visited the Boston Boat Show and i'd like to people's input
regarding the comparison of these two boats.

I assume you mean the Island Packet 350 and the Sabre 386, or are you talking about older boats?

Eric wrote:

Wow, that would be like comparing apples and oranges but both are well
made - what kind of sailing are you intending to do? What are your
priorities? Where do you intend to sail?

These two boats are very different. The IP 350 is basically a motorsailer. An older Island Packet would
be an acceptable passagemaker but IMHO the newer ones have added many dockside amenities and have very
impractical & uncomfortable deck layouts for working & handling the boat.

The Sabre is a great boat. Not as much of a passagemaker but if you want to sail for enjoyment of
sailing, the Sabre is a much better choice.. Under most conditions it will sail rings around the IP.
"Apples & oranges" is a bit of an understatement in trying to compare these two boats.

They are both high-dollar boats with good reputations for quality.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King