Bill

Default Aluminium vs. Fiberglass

What experiences have you all had with aluminium hulls and decks?
Advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks.

I owned a French built Al sloop and loved it. The first winter I kept it in
a boat yard with 3 others. One was 25 years old and the hull still looked
beautiful.

Al is held in high regard in Europe -especially in France where is it more
common to call the hull alloy, because it is really an Al alloy designed for
the environment. The French people are enamored with long distance sailing.
Most Mega yachts are Al.

Steel and wood are high maintenance materials. Fiberglass does not have the
strength, and particularly the impact resistance of Al.

With Al, you have to be careful about the electrical system and the hull.
Basically,the system is not to be grounded to the hull or you are asking for
trouble. In my 6 ears of ownership, I had absolutely no problems with
corrosion. Zero.

In this country, you can usually find a good deal on an Al boat because they
are not that popular here. However, it is a double edged sword when you go
to sell it.

Get a surveyor who understands Al boats.

Good Luck!

Bill