DSK

Default Hey NOYB... about this Syria stuff

We'd know in a heartbeat if a Russian nuke was detonated on US soil.

How?

NOYB wrote:
From the isotopic signature.

Tell you what... I don't think so, and I bet the Russians don't either.

He has no interest in helping us. In fact, he's working feverishly to
subvert our efforts in Iraq.

Baloney. I suppose this comes out of the same spew that provides all the
ranting about Iran's insurgency is all foreigners.

The true native Iraqi "insurgents" are no longer very effective at killing
American and Iraq military and police forces.

Really? They've done a heck of a lot of it, but I suppose if you compare
them to the NVA then yeah, they're not as effective.

Are we going to stay in Iraq until the casualty count hit 50K +? I
sincerely hope NOT!

... Though they may outnumber the
foreign fighters, their actions account for very few of the more recent
(within 6 months) American and Iraqi casualties.

Says who?

Suicide bombers and insurgents aren't the same thing.

"American commanders say that foreigners make up more than 90 percent of
the suicide bombers. Many of those suicide attacks are directed at
civilians."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/21/in...21baghdad.html

blah blah blah
You're talking about apples and trying to convince everyone it means
oranges.

You'd have better luck quoting this source: "The insurgency in Iraq is
on it's last legs" - Vice President Dick Cheney

... Hezbollah is supported more by Iran than by Syria. And they have a
large political wing which gives them a stake in realistic solutions.

Iran uses Syria (and much of formerly Syrian-controlled Lebanon) as a
Hezbollah supply route. In this way, Syria is just as much to blame.

I'd agree. We should be concentrating on chopping them off at the knees,
not destabilizing the whole region.

If we get Syria to pull back (which would take some smarts & some time)
then that gives Hezbollah an even bigger reason to play nice.

Syria already pulled their troops out of Lebanon...but much of its
intelligence agency and Hezbollah-support network remains behind.

Umm, for the third time: Hezbollah is neither Syrian nor Iranian. They
are primarily Palestinian but with pan-Arab roots (or pretenses to that,
anyway). Their main enemy is Israel, and their main antagonist is the
whole Western concept of secularism.

If you want to pick a fight, identifying the enemy makes a good first
step, nyet?

.... It was
those elements that killed Hariri. Bush and our European allies tried to do
just as you proposed...but the assassination threw a monkey wrench into the
plan.

Not really. The assassination was a tragedy for Lebanon but also
strengthened the hand of the pro-Western moderates. That's true inside
Syria as well, and we would be smart to encourage that development.

But I suppose you must rant & rave about how they are evil violent
fundamentalists (while ignoring the fact that you're a fundamentalist
advocate of violence yourself) & we should kill them all, somehow.

But I belong to the militarily stronger fundamentalist group.

That's what General Westmoreland said in 1967.

President Bush already knows that torture is for bad guys.

Then why did he promise to veto a bill defining torture as against US
policy? Or are you saying that President Bush is one of the bad guys?

No. I'm saying that he knows to use torture only on the really bad guys.

So, using brutal & evil methods is really good IYHO?

DSK