Rob

Default Anyone out there???????

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

Ok, fair comment - fact remains though that the numbers speak for
themselves, and relative (real or perceived) ease of use wins every time.
Just look at the traffic here in comparison to (for example) UKRGB's
forum - it can't all be because of the history here.

It's not ease of use, it's knowledge of existence! Almost all of it will
be that everyone knows about the Web and relatively few people know about
usenet. Does that mean we should actively abandon the better medium, or
encourage people to use it?

I remain to be convinced it's the "better medium" - it has it's place - but
it lacks a number of the features and benefits of a web based forum, notably
images. That said, I use a lot of usenet accounts. And very helpful they can
be. The ability to search the vast knowledge base via Google Groups is
certainly a massive and valuable resource, and generally easier to do than
within a web forum.

I'd say the latter, and if you really don't want to listen to Allan (or
me, or anyone else) all you have to do is amend your killfile: it's not
rocket science (and it isn't easily possible on web forums either!)

Ah yes - killfiles. While I accept your argument that its not rocket
science, it's not all that simple as you know. The perpertrators just pop up
in someones reply. There is of course the addition of the Usenet "Police"
who insist on telling people what they can, and cannot do - how they should
post, in what format - to snip or not, etc ad infinitum. Please lets not
start another boring and tedious top-posting / bottom posting debate, but
you'll have to agree there is rather less pedantry on most web forums.