Doug Kanter

Default And now....some good news

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:30:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

What's Wal Mart saying about packaging? Teaching their cashiers that a
pack
of gum doesn't require a bag?

There are a lot of good answers to the packaging problem that don't
end with, ".....paper or plastic?"

I wasn't comparing paper to plastic. They both have their pitfalls, in terms
of environmental impact. But, what's indisputable is that cashiers very
often give you your groceries in 19 plastic bags, when only 5 are necessary.
Yeah...you can "advise" them, but what a pain. The best part: I commented
recently to a teenager that considering how dependent we are on oil, it
might be smart to ask people if they want a bag when they're buying just a
loaf of bread and it's not raining outside. He was surprised to find that
plastic originates with oil. What the hell are kids taught in school these
days? "Be sure to wear a helmet when masturbating" ???