Gordon Wedman

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

My limited experience with seeing passive returns was a big surprise. A
50' wooden boat broadside in calm waters 300 yards off didn't give
any return until the gain was turned up to the point it would give too
much cutter in rougher water.

snip

John
S/V Pangea

There's a "possible" tuning flaw here.....
Set your picture up for maximum clarity and target acquisition first, then
use "sea clutter" controls (and often, "rain clutter") to reduce clutter
in rougher water, rather than gain/intensity.
Admittedly, you may have to reduce gain at lower ranges, but always try
clutter controls first.
When doing the initial set-up, use a higher range to begin with (3,6,12mi.
depending on your set) and get your best picture there.

otn

That procedure works well with my JRC Radar 2000. Keep the gain turned up
all the way and increase the sea clutter setting as you go to shorter
ranges. I just started using it this summer and I'm impressed with its
ability to pick up targets. There was, however, an initial tuning
adjustment that I had to go through to get this level of performance. This
procedure peaked the tuning to obtain the maximum number of targets. After
that I just leave it on Auto Tune and adjust sea clutter.

Those active radar reflectors seem overpriced considering all they are doing
is transmitting/receiving just like a radar unit but not providing a display
or any of the other bells/whistles associated with modern radar.