Rob

Default Anyone out there? - only 15th posting this month

"SatNav" wrote in message

"Kegs" wrote in message
"SatNav" writes:

"MatSav" m a t t h e w D O T s a v a g e A T d s l D O T p i p e x D OT
c o
m wrote in message ...
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:43:42 +0100, JH
wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

The above fake little dialogue is designed to divert gullible usenet
users
to a commercial page.

Bing! Wrong, UKRGB is a free site, with free discussion boards, and
free access to the river guides, which are contributed by the readership.

Ads and selling stuff like t-shirts are about the only ways to pay for
the, non-negligable, overheads of running a popular site like that,
without
directly charging the end-users.

My point precisely, UKRGB depends on advertising revenue to keep going.
You know what happens when your website depends financially on someone?

Even if they don't overtly call the shots, you make sure you don't upset
them. Freedom of speech goes out the window etc. etc.

This by contrast is a free AND independent NG. I regret if people post
here, announcing that 'discussion has migrated' to a commercially funded
web site.

The motivation is obvious - adverts fetch more the more hits your site
gets.

That'll explain way UKRGB doesnt actually charge for its ads then. Always
worth getting the facts right.