Jim,

Default boat-wrap for Winter ?

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:22:58 GMT, Courtney Thomas
said:

That's what I was looking for....i.e. the reason that some/most
boatowners decide to cover, i.e. the destructive potential of the
thaw/freeze cycle of the encumbent precipitation.

Yes. One problem, of course, is that unless you shrink-wrap it's nearly
impossible to keep out every bit of snow and rain. And if it's there, it's
going to freeze, with the results described. This becomes a particular
problem when you store with the mast in, as about half of the owners do
around here. How do you get a decent seal around the mast, and where the two
tarps come together?

At my YC it's a Do It Yourself project for them who want to participate.
Cost of wrapping a 25' boat is about $100. We bought the torch, and
help each other rig the support webbing.

To keep things dry here's a low cost Dehumidifier.

Get 2 milk carton things of the non sidewalk salt (Calcium Chloride) And
dump 1 into each leg of a pair of pantyhose. Hang the pantyhose over a
driveway sealer bucket. The Calcium Chloride is hygroscopic and will
absorb moisture, and the water will drip into the bucket. Come spring,
dump the bucket, toss the pantyhose, and you're done. Should be enough
to keep a well sealed up 25' boat dry for a season -- if you have a
bigger boat, scale up accordingly.