Gordon Wedman

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Carl" wrote in message
oups.com...

I would take a look at installing an "active radar reflector" such as
the Sea-Me unit ( http://www.sea-me.co.uk/index.html ). It amplifies
and retransmit received radar signals to make you a much bigger target
on the other ship's radar. That way the other ship's computerized
anti-collision systems will wake up and take notice.

These are quite popular in the UK and really seem to work. I've got one
on my boat (British built). I have a feeling these are not strictly
legal in the US and I don't turn mine on except when offshore. The unit
also has a red light at the nav station that lights (and can be hooked
to an alarm) whenever radar is sweeping the boat. Cost is about $700,
it uses little power, and requires just a 12"x1" antenna at the top of
the mast.

I have no connection with this company other than being a happy
customer (it's really fun to look like a 300' ship). I also keep a good
watch!

Carl

Why do you have the feeling it's not strictly legal in the US?

For the simple reason that there haven't been many of these type units
Type Accepted in the USA. Type Acceptance is REQUIRED for any
electronic emiting device sold in the US. The process of Type Acceptance
will decide if the device is Licenseable or would come under the Part 15
Rules.

Bruce in alaska
--

Checked their home page and it seems they have vendors all over the planet
including San Diego:

Honor Marine Communications
2120 Main Street
San Diego