Evan Gatehouse

Default Grim MO in Maine

Roger Long wrote:
Someone once suggested to me pretending like the freeboard was 1000
feet and then thinking how your would approach deckwork.

I'll admit to being rather casual on this point but I'm really
thinking about this.

My wife and I discussed this when offshore cruising. Our
thought was that either of us fell overboard at night with
the other sleeping, you're dead. Simple as that. Always
wore our harnesses and clipped on to the jackline when
leaving the cockpit. Never slipped or had an incident but
you should take it seriously.

We look upon lost hats overboard as improptu man overboard
drills and usually recover them in about 2-4 minutes. But
they are easy to miss and hard to see. A floating hat is
similar to a head in the water. Makes you appreciate the
usefulness of a Dan Buoy.

Evan Gatehouse