Mac

Default Foam-filled mast

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:39:19 -0700, Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

Primary reason is that it increases righting moment in the event of a
capsize. I suppose it might also keep the mast from sinking in case of a
demasting.

Assuming the boat is designed well, the keel will give it all the righting
moment it needs. And as far as I know, if the mast comes off of the boat,
you don't want it hanging around.

If this is a catamaran, then putting a float at the very top of the mast
might be a good idea. Or at least I have seen some smaller catamarans with
such things on them.

Might make the mast marginally stronger if completely filled.

Maybe. Maybe not. It certainly won't increase the compression strength.
Anyway, this doesn't seem to be a compelling reason.

I also misspoke in this area in that what I was envisioning was plugging the
mast with foam rather than completely filling it.

BS

In my opinion, you want the bottom and top of the mast to be as wide open
as reasonably possible. That way, after a capsize, as the boat starts to
right itself, the mast will drain readily (assuming it is still attached
to the deck).

I don't think there is any way you can seal a mast with internal halyards
sufficiently so that it won't fill up with water when the boat is upside
down. If you attempt to do this, and the mast does fill with water, it
will be even harder for the boat to right itself, because the water will
drain out of the mast more slowly. If anything, you would want to put
extra holes or slots in the mast all along its length so that the water
can drain out fast.

--Mac

"Bowgus" wrote in message
I give up ... why would anyone fill a mast with "foam"?

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Assuming one makes provision to access and mechanical or electrical
components within the mast, are there any compelling reasons NOT to foam
fill the mast?

Bob Swarts