Len

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

Well, AIS = Autmomatic Identification System
In stead of repeating others there is somegood info at:
http://www.uais.org/87BStory.doc

And as always I jumped in a bit too soon a small year ago.
I "only" installed an AIS receiver where the AIS transponder is
getting cheaper and almost reasonable.
I bought the nasamarine engine thats connevted to a serial port of my
pc. Together with SeaClear nav software the system is complete and
functions well. I see my map, my own position, others together with
the info I want presented.
I still have to scrape the maps from my cracked Tsunamis '99 into
Seaclear first but that's another matter.

They also carry the nasamarine ais-radar, horribly wrong name of
course but it is nifty. It has its own screen you can put up in the
cockpit. take a look at
http://www.nasamarine.com/AIS/AIS.html

When you're interested in a transponder (so you'll be seen by others
with a receiver or a transponer and that are awake) take a look on
ebigchina site
http://smartradio.ebigchina.com/sdp/...369-74856.html

There are quite a few nav programs that support AIS. I use SeaClear
now but I'm looking for a prog that can use my Transas World Folio
2000 so I won't have to copy and paste that much...
But I'm not complaining..

Regards,
Len
S/v Present

On 18 Oct 2005 10:07:14 -0700, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

"what is "AIS" ? "

or, is it a proprity (sp?) freq or
system the "web page" owns??