Gordon Wedman

Default LED Navigation Lights Experience

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
Bob Markus wrote:
I agree, does not seem likely. I'm a ham and lots of experience with
VHF. Cannot explain it and I do not know why. But we could not receive
with the Nav. lights on.

LED lights are generally pulsed to save power. Crude electronics plus a
long wire antenna up the mast radiating like crazy all the way fronm DC to
almost light. A few turns through a ferrite ring at each end of the cable
would probably help but there is no substitute for proper EMC filtering.
YMMV.

Meindert, Terry, Chris
Thanks for the info. Didn't know they would take something simple and
complicate it. Switched to save power? How much power are we trying to
save anyway? Maybe go back to oil lamps?
And then we find out there's interference with the VHF.
Sheesh...........what progress.