Doug Dotson

Default Cold Machine leak in Evaporator

Many compressors don't last too long when being run from a traditional
modified sinewave inverter. A true sinewave inverter is better but a DC
system is the most versital and efficient.

Doug
s/v Callista

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
Gordon:

Nope. I wouldn't fuss with trying to resuscitate ANY of your old
machinery. As Wayne notes here, it all gets pretty complicated and you're
still stuck with a condenser that's 20 years old, and VERY likely to fail.
And I diverge from some of the other opinions here about depending on an
inverter to drive a 110v refrigerator. Sure, you can do it, but from what
I read and hear from friends (and have done myself) is either to stick
with or switch to a 12v refrigerator system. I recently removed a noisy
smelly old genset from my boat and installed a 1500 w inverter, which
works great--unless you leave it running for a long time, even with a
light load (say a light bulb). For short bursts--the wife cranking up the
blender, or using her hair curler--the inverter is fine, but batteries
were never meant to drive a 110v. fridge. Yes, you can do so with the
main engine running--but then you may as well have the engine-driver
condenser. 12v is easier, quieter, mellower. With all due respect to
those who disagree and pile the load on an inverter: disagreement is what
makes horse-racin'!

Cheers,

Dick

"gordon" wrote in message

Thanks for all the info. I'm convinced now that it would not pay to fix
the evaporator. I've been studying the web page at rparts.com, I think I
could replace the evaporator and the pump(with control) . I would keep
the condenser, fan, thermostat, tubing and convert the system to
R-134a. Is this a possibility ???Do I need to flush out what's left in
the system or can I just start using r-134a. The R-12 leaked out about 12
years ago.