Default Skipper Reports on His Boat shopping......

A couple questions, Chuckie. Did I *specifically* ask you to check into
the Northcoast by visiting the selling broker and boat? What did you do
about that request?

--
Skipper

Yes. I don't recall the name "Northcoast", but there was some
discussion about a boat for which you were already in the process of
formulating a purchase offer. You have to remember that I did business
with hundreds of buyers and sellers, while you dealt with only a few
brokers. Your memory of minute details, (such as the make of the boat)
should be better than mine.

I told you immediately that the process was too far along for another
broker to become involved. A broker has to represent either the seller
or the buyer in a transaction. The boat you were interested in was not
my listing, therefore I could not represent the seller. You had already
entered discussions with another broker in another brokerage regarding
the purchase of this boat. There was no role in your prospective
transaction for a third broker. See your own words above; even you felt
"obliged" to the broker you had already contacted about the boat. (as
you should have)

I told you that if the deal didn't go through that I would be happy to
present offers on future boats in the Pac. NW, but that under the
co-brokerage rules in the industry I needed to be involved at the
beginning of the process, not called upon halfway through the deal. I
may have offered to take a look at the boat and render an opinion if I
were in the town where the boat was for sale on some other business in
the near future, and while that seems like something I would have I
don't specifically remember several years later whether I did or did
not make such an offer. I know that I never looked at the boat- but it
was not in Seattle and I wasn't about to waste most of a day on a
specific round trip to see the boat. (Without any official role in the
transaction- there is no guarantee that the listing broker would have
even let me aboard the boat. In fact, there could be an excellent
argument advanced that since the boat was in the fiduciary care of the
seller's agent it was that broker's repsonsibilty to keep extraneous
people *off* the boat). There was no way that I could or should become
officially involved in the middle of your transaction at that point in
time.

Trivia of the Day: Did you know that many people who fundamentally
dislike who and what they are project their own worst faults onto
others
and take out their self-loathing by critcizing those estranged flaws
from a third person perspective? The only real cure for this, I
believe, is to stop with all the projecting and deal with the problems
internally. Should you meet somebody with this problem, encourage them
to seek medical help. A skilled therapist can do wonders. It's never
too late for an adult to modify his/her behavior.