R.W. Behan

Default Cold Machine leak in Evaporator

Gordon:

Nope. I wouldn't fuss with trying to resuscitate ANY of your old machinery.
As Wayne notes here, it all gets pretty complicated and you're still stuck
with a condenser that's 20 years old, and VERY likely to fail. And I
diverge from some of the other opinions here about depending on an inverter
to drive a 110v refrigerator. Sure, you can do it, but from what I read and
hear from friends (and have done myself) is either to stick with or switch
to a 12v refrigerator system. I recently removed a noisy smelly old genset
from my boat and installed a 1500 w inverter, which works great--unless you
leave it running for a long time, even with a light load (say a light bulb).
For short bursts--the wife cranking up the blender, or using her hair
curler--the inverter is fine, but batteries were never meant to drive a
110v. fridge. Yes, you can do so with the main engine running--but then you
may as well have the engine-driver condenser. 12v is easier, quieter,
mellower. With all due respect to those who disagree and pile the load on
an inverter: disagreement is what makes horse-racin'!

Cheers,

Dick

"gordon" wrote in message

Thanks for all the info. I'm convinced now that it would not pay to fix
the evaporator. I've been studying the web page at rparts.com, I think I
could replace the evaporator and the pump(with control) . I would keep
the condenser, fan, thermostat, tubing and convert the system to R-134a.
Is this a possibility ???Do I need to flush out what's left in the system
or can I just start using r-134a. The R-12 leaked out about 12 years ago.