Bill Tuthill

Default TR - Lower McCloud CA trip report

Mothra wrote:
Awesome, Bill! Guess what? I've just moved to Cali. Living in Marin
now with sights on moving to Mt Shasta area someday. I've eyed the
McCloud when I've visited up there. Thanks for a kayak level view.
Quess what else? I'm actually thinking about getting an IK!

Welcome to Hotel California, in the immortal words of the Eagles.
Let's get together and run something sometime! Redwood Creek maybe.
If you have a creek boat you don't really need an IK to run creeks
but a person can never have too many boats.

John Fereira wrote:
That's what you call a tailwater...
For those that don't know, different species of mayfly hatch at
specific temperatures (starting around 50 degrees F) so a
coldwater stream is going to produce more food and thus more trout.

By "starting around 50 F" do you mean at 50 F and below, or above?
The Rogue river has lots of insect hatches in much warmer water.
I have never seen a river more teeming with life than the Rogue!
When you step in to take a swim, fingerling trout(?) are there
to bite your toes.