charliekilo

Default Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant)

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
The type of use you describe:
"The boat will be used more as a weekend getaway on a medium-sized
inland
lake than as a cruiser so I thought gas engines would be more
economical in
the mid to short-term. i.e. rather significant lower cost of
acquisition."

The major difference between sailors and powerboaters:

When sailors take their boats out, they take 'em out to sail 'em...they're
underway most of the time. Yes, they do spend some time in anchorages, but
SAILING is the reason they own the boat. Sailing doesn't burn fuel.

Powerboaters, otoh (except for ski boat owners) are destination
boaters...they take their boats out to go somewhere. On a lake, that
usually means a cove where they can drop the anchor or raft with other
boats, toss out the float toys, turn on the stereo and stay there for the
weekend. Contrary to what most sailors think, that kind of use doesn't
burn a whole lot of fuel either. In fact, I suspect there were weekends
when my generator burned more fuel than my engines did.

Nor is that kind of use particularly good for diesel engines...they like
to run hard and long...they don't particularly like nothing but "cold
start/short hop" use (check out the diesel cars that are never used for
anything but carpool and errands...their back bumpers are always covered
in black smoke and a lot of 'em clatter). Gas engines don't have a
problem with type of use. And they're a lot better for pulling your kids
on a tube or a wakeboard, too.

So for your intended use, I'd go with the gas engine...IMO it'll be the
most economical in the long run.

And take a USCG Aux or US Power Squadron boating safety course!

Just my $.02 worth...
--
Peggie

Just a couple of personal points after reading your post: You're exactly
correct about how we'll use our boat - find a cove and stay for the weekend.
If we go to the far reaches of the lake, we'll motor maybe 7-9 miles each
way. Secondly, I for one, NEVER thought I'd be looking at a power boat. I've
been a sailor since I was three years old, first sailing a Rebel, an
assortment of pocket cruisers, raced 470s in college, crewed on a
competitive Hobie 33 for several seasons, sailed up the east coast, from
Hilton Head, SC to Gloucester, MA on a Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 and lastly,
sailed the Grenadines for a month on a 55 foot custom full keel double-ender
two years ago. I never even wanted to step foot on a fuel guzzling "stink
pot" - but suddenly I find myself getting lazy. That and the fact that I
want a little more luxury and comfort than a moderate sized sailboat can
provide...and three flat screen televisions on *one* boat, how cool is that!
LOL