Lochawe

Default Boat Handling

Hi,

We have a Dejon 14ft fishing boat with a 4 horse outboard for inshore
fishing and it steers just great using a wiring/pulley system to the
wheel on cabin.

We recently bought a 14ft7 boat and put the outboard on it...and it is
a nightmare to steer, the system on the new boat seems to be some type
of hydraulic system? although it is not connected to any pump. It
takes at least 3 more revolutions of the (stiff) wheel to turn the
outboard as compared to the dejon...and it feels like you are
compensating/over compensation constantly.

BTW if it is hydraulic it appears there is only one pipe going to the
metal push rod that moves the outboard left and right. Behind the wheel
in the cabin there is the pipe that goes to OB and another that just
appears to be cut off.

Before we try to move the steering from the dejon to the new boat I
would just like to be sure the steering is the problem and not
something like, just needing to get used to the new steering or the new
boat is heavier ect.

Thanks for any advice