Mic

Default Foam-filled mast

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:39:19 -0700, "Robert or Karen Swarts"
wrote:

Primary reason is that it increases righting moment in the event of a
capsize. I suppose it might also keep the mast from sinking in case of a
demasting.

Might make the mast marginally stronger if completely filled.

I also misspoke in this area in that what I was envisioning was plugging the
mast with foam rather than completely filling it.

Bingo...

An inversion may cause the mast to fill with water, and depending on
the diameter and lenght of mast, the the leverage weight at or near
the masthead would be significant. I think 1square foot of water is
about 64 lbs. Or about 1 gallon of water is about 8lbs...

Anyone know what the leverage force would be needed to lift 64lbs at
30ft of leverage from the folcrum point? That may not be exactly the
right question...

I would not recommend filling the complete void in the mast, but
sealing of the mast might be considered. As this was a suggestion by
someone making their boat 'bluewater' ready as just one of the things
they would do.

Also if the mast is buoyant then it could help the righting momentum.

BS

"Bowgus" wrote in message
I give up ... why would anyone fill a mast with "foam"?

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Assuming one makes provision to access and mechanical or electrical
components within the mast, are there any compelling reasons NOT to foam
fill the mast?

Bob Swarts