R.W. Behan

Default Cold Machine leak in Evaporator

Gordon--

My Adler Barbour Cold Machine is (was) about 3 years younger than yours, and
my advice is to replace the whole unit, condenser, evaporator, and all.
Primary reason is the old refrigerant, which is now unavailable, for
environmental reasons. You can retrofit the old units to accept the newer
refrigerants, but at a fairly high cost and only suspect reliability. I'm
in the process of replacing our A/B, and have just about settled on a unit
from Sea Freeze of America. They're $825 complete at Fisheries Supply in
Seattle--about 2/3 the cost of replacing the A/B, and equal in terms of
quality, I'm told. FWIW.

Smooth seas,

Dick Behan
M/V "Annie"

"gordon" wrote in message
My Adler Barber Cold machine (1983) has a leak where the aluminum tubing
from the evaporator joins the copper tube, which runs back to the
condenser. the existing connection appears to be some type of rubber or
plastic tubing. any way to repair this.

thanks in advance

gordon