Mac

Default Foam-filled mast

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:01:04 -0700, Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

Assuming one makes provision to access and mechanical or electrical
components within the mast, are there any compelling reasons NOT to foam
fill the mast?

Bob Swarts

There could be weight and righting moment issues.

Maybe it will be OK, but I guess I would at least want to do the math
before I poured the foam...

There could be possible corrosion problems.

Hollow masts are pretty resistant to oxidation. If you fill it with foam
it could easily develop pockets of poor drainage, and therefore corrode.

--Mac