KMAN

Default DaggerAnimosity

in article , BCITORGB
at
wrote on 10/15/05 4:49 PM:

Michael:
==============
That's the outcome of the professionalization of recreation.

And you claim that you don't denigrate professionals.

You're so full of ****, Keenan.
===============

I don't denigrate professionals, but, I too, wonder at the
"professionalization of recreation".

Why can't kids play soccer (hockey, basketball, etc) anymore, without
going to camps lead by ex-pro athletes?

LOL. I just wrote something similar.

Apparently the lowly parent
subbing players as required in games isn't good enough for some.

I coach and have coached a number of children in sports. It has come to the
point where I have to have a meeting with all the parents and explain to
them that all the children are going to get equal playing time, and that if
this is a problem for any parent, they should move their child to another
team now, rather than put them in the middle of a situation where coach and
parent cannot agree. And, believe it or not, about 10% of parents actually
pull their kids of the team.

Why
must people assume they have to take lessons to ski? I skiied for
several years, having a great deal of fun, putting the weight on the
wrong foot when turning (I assumed it was like skating); lessons would
have sped up the learning of that fact, but I'm not sure I would have
had more fun.

I learned how to downhill ski when my buddies took me up to the top of the
hill and pushed me. I was a little upset at the time, but I always had a
blast, right from that first moment. In some sports (like tennis) I decided
I really wanted to become technically proficient, so I worked at my game.
But in skiing, I stuck with my original technique. Good times.

Michael, I'm not opposed to lessons, but I think our society
occasionally gets carried away with the formalization of recreation
(just look at all the people signing up for cooking lessons; fer
crissakes, it's not rocket science!!!! -- read a friggin' cookbook!!!).

My $0.02 -- and no denigration of professionals

Agree, agree.

I am ashamed to say I now have several acquaintances who feel they need
"personal trainers" because they can't stop eating like pigs or get off
their asses to go for walk. They honestly believe it is not possible for
them to lose weight without a professional to help them. The professionals
who do this work are not to blame. It's the culture that has produced such a
belief that is to blame.